Re: Unkown entity

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:15:25 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Måndag 18. mars 2002 02:45 skreiv Sascha Carlin:

> First of all, I'd like to say the Validator is a great tool. It helped me
> much improving my site. Although I know that the ampersand should not be
> used as a parameter indicator in URL's, most servers use it as this.

Ampersands *can* be used -- you just have to write it as &amp;. It will
still work (in all browsers), and the browser will send it as '&' to the
server, so nothing else needs changing.

> It would be great if Validator had an option to switch of the parsing of
> URL's in order to hide the warnings about "unkown entity x",

The validators job is to check for validity, an un-escaped &'s *are*
illegal in HTML and XML.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer