Re: Updated validator patches

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 14:15:18 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

>>>RedHat 7.x RPM [...] at <URL:http://cachalot.ods.org/RPMS/>.
>>Your're building RPMs? Cool! Wanna volunteer to be the official RPM
>>packager? :-)
>Yep, been building them for some time now, and will do so in the future,
>so why not :)

"I dub thee ``Sir RPM of The HTMLish Validator´´!" :-)

>>(I can stick the spec file in CVS if you like, BTW)
>Hmm, if the spec is in CVS, I'd like to be able to update it...

If I stick the spec file in CVS I would /also/ like you to be able to
update it. :-)  Not sure if that's doable though. Not my call.

>>At the very least I would suggest splitting the SGML library
>>($CVSROOT/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/) out into it's own RPM.
>Good point, I've now split the sgml-lib into the -libs RPM.  I'll take a
>look at using the RH SGML stuff later.

The RH SGML stuff probably needs cleaning up. As does the Validator's.
Integrating these could be a bit hairy, but should be doable eventually.

Perhaps if I make a tarball of just the relevant bits...

>There are new RPMs at <URL:http://cachalot.ods.org/> now, and as usual,
>a couple of new/updated/not-yet-applied patches at
><URL:http://cachalot.ods.org/patches/w3c-validator/>.  The most
>noteworthy of these is the -relative-paths.patch, which finally enables
>installation into a non-webserver-root directory...

I meant to get to them this weekend, but I ran out of time. Worse yet, it
looks like I'll have pretty much zero time for the Validator for a while
now, so I'm not sure when I can get to them. I'll try to do it as quickly
as I can though (I _hate_ waiting for patches to get applied upstream).

Of course we are the good guys! We define what is good and evil. All other
definitions are wrong, and possibly the product of a deranged imagination.
                                                         -- Stephen Harris