XHTML doctype overide?

From: Jim Meyer <jimndeb@u.washinton.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Can someone tell me why, when I try to validate a page using this
doctype and charset:

<!DOCTYPE html
     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

<head>

The validator  (returning no errors) says that there is a doctype
override in effect and the page will not be valid until
The proper doctype is included.

I have validated other pages with this DTD and Charset and the only
difference is the current page includes javascript.
Can someone illuminate the rules for the DTD? I understand the
strict/transitional/frameset situation and the url but what is the rest
and how should it be set?

Thank you

Jim Meyer