Re: DOCTYPE tag and non english page

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:25:34 +0900 (JST)
To: dan@ohnesorg.cz
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Dan Ohnesorg <dan@ohnesorg.cz> wrote:

> I think, that if I have pages in czech, I should use this tag:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//CS">
>
> But validator says, that I should use

> Is my idea wrong, or is wrong the validator.

"7.2 HTML version information" [1] of the HTML 4 specification says:

    The binding between public identifiers and files can be specified
    using a catalog file following the format recommended by the Oasis
    Open Consortium (see [OASISOPEN]). A sample catalog file for HTML 4.01
    is included at the beginning of the section on SGML reference
    information for HTML. The last two letters of the declaration indicate
    the language of the DTD. For HTML, this is always English ("EN").

To identify the language of your HTML documents, use the 'lang'
attribute.  See "8.1 Specifying the language of content: the lang
attribute" [2] for details.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.2
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1

Regards,