Bug regarding character encoding

From: Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 23:47:01 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Dear validator programmers,

I think I have found a bug in the validator.
The validator does not want to validate an XHTML1.1 page that does not
contain a character encoding declaration.
But XML pages in general need no character encoding when the character
encoding is UTF-8, UTF-16 or, which is the case with the page causing the
problem, ASCII, since ASCII is a subset of Unicode and ASCII-Documents are
UTF-8 documents.

The URL causing the problem is http://www.hujer.com/seite1.html
A hint might be that the validator tells it would detect a character encoding
called "http" when selecting "utf-8" as character encoding.

Greetings, a happy new year and thanks for your service

P.S.:
If you want to reply to me, please reply to my private email address since I
am not on the list.
--
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter