Re: How to automate using HTML validation service

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:58:29 +0000 (GMT)
To: Charles Manske <cmanske@netscape.com>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Charles Manske wrote:

> We would love to integrate the W3C validation service into
> mozilla/Netscape' HTML editor (Composer).

Splendid!

Do you speak with the authoritative voice of Netscape, or are you
an independent developer?

>	 Can we feed the filename to
> upload or the URI as a parameter in the respective URLs to the
> validation web pages?

If you're programming the Client, you can construct either a bog-standard
GET request to validate your page at a URL, or make it a File upload.

See for example how Jim's script for MSIE works at
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/ie/>.
This uses Site Valet, because we offer the option of XML output from
the validator, so you have rather a lot more flexibility than with the
W3C's HTML reports.  I'm sure you could do something broadly similar
with Netscape, or indeed any 'net-enabled desktop application.

>	 We can easily launch a browser window from
> Composer but would like to automatically supply the pages to validate.

Where's the problem?

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>