Re: How to automate using HTML validation service

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:58:29 +0000 (GMT)
To: Charles Manske <cmanske@netscape.com>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Charles Manske wrote:

> We would love to integrate the W3C validation service into
> mozilla/Netscape' HTML editor (Composer).

Do you speak with the authoritative voice of Netscape, or are you
an independent developer?

>	 Can we feed the filename to
> upload or the URI as a parameter in the respective URLs to the
> validation web pages?

If you're programming the Client, you can construct either a bog-standard
GET request to validate your page at a URL, or make it a File upload.

See for example how Jim's script for MSIE works at
This uses Site Valet, because we offer the option of XML output from
the validator, so you have rather a lot more flexibility than with the
W3C's HTML reports.  I'm sure you could do something broadly similar
with Netscape, or indeed any 'net-enabled desktop application.

>	 We can easily launch a browser window from
> Composer but would like to automatically supply the pages to validate.

Where's the problem?

Nick Kew