Re: Validator doesn't accept https:// URIs nore does Link Checker

Ralf Hauser <ralfhauser@gmx.ch> wrote:

>1) Current state: I still see it earmarked as feature for 0.7 on
>http://validator.w3.org/todo.html,

Don't put too much weight on what's on todo.html; they're more ideas of
"stuff that looks like it might fit in there" then hard and fast
development plans.

>but I have troubles to find out which version is "in production"
>right now (no hints on version number in "about", "what's new",
>...)?

The current version in production is 0.6.1p1 with a 0.6.2 release planned
but not yet scheduled. 0.7.0 is expected to be the next release if nothing
else pops up.

>2) Timing: When is 0.7 expected to see light of day?

We're currently waiting for a suitably large lightningstorm --
"22 megavolts: when you absolutely, positively, __have_to__ reanimate a
monster contructed from various, uhm, salvaged parts; accept no
substitute!" -- so just keep your eyes peeled to the Weather Channel. :-)

0.7.0 is under development, but no firm plan for release is in place. I
think "eyeballing" the likely release schedule for 0.7.0 gets us to some
point during Q1 next year.

"https" support is not available yet, but it's early enough in the
development process that it still has a good chance of getting some
attention before release.

>3)  Link Checker and others: If you include https, please do so also for
>Link Checker and CSS Validator, etc.

The CSS Validator is a separate issue and you'd need to take that up on the
www-validator-css@w3.org list. The Link Checker will most likely acquire
https support at or around the same time as the MarkUp Validator.

>4) User friendly error message: I just got once more to " Sorry, this
>type of URI  scheme  (https) is not supported by this service... " a)
>Please add a hint to the "save locally and use the File Upload" approach
>b) How about also hyper-linking into the todo-list or other discussion
>on the topic?

Good ideas. Thanks!

>5) Icons also under https: Currently I am referring to
>http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-xhtml11 for my icon. Once https support is
>here, please make them also available under httpS, otherwise, the
>browser will warn about page elements that are not secure within a
>secure page (or do you prefer making local copies?).

Hmm. Yes, we do need to take that into account. Thanks for the headsup.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

--
> I suggest you attend some sort of anger management class....
That's where you learn to upset the PHBs? -- Peter da Silva