Validating my HTML code: background= problems

From: Nick & Kate Nicholes <kghn@ttc-cmc.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

08/06/02

Hi,

The service to check for errors in my HTML files before putting them up is
wonderful.  (http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html)

However, I am finding inconsistent error flagging behavior regarding the
use of BACKGROUND="***.jpg".  It validates fine in a <BODY> command, flags
as an error in <TABLE>, and *sometimes* is flagged as an error in <TD>.  I
have swapped around similar <TR><TD BACKGROUND="***.jpg">***</TD><TR> table
sections, and the first occurance is flagged and the second and subsequent
are not.
	Also, if I duplicate the offending section, only the first occurance is
flagged.

My Netscape 4.73 seems to handle all 3 situations as I would hope/expect,
using the picture as wallpaper behind any text I specify.

Can anyone give me a clue what I am doing wrong?  Or is there perhaps a bug
in the checker?  The checker is only expecting one <BODY> tag...

I chose straight HTML 4 without style sheets to try to accomodate a wide
variety of viewers.  I like to write my code with a plain editor.

I would like some help knowing what is considered correct in HTML 4.  It
sure is nice to be able to put a picture in a table cell behind my text.
(See my home page at www.concise-logic.com.  The corrected code should be
up soon...)

Thanks,

Kate Nicholes