Centring Tables in HTML 4.01 Strict...?

From: Charles Walker <cewalker@kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:46:15 -0400
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

I've got a question that has been bothering me for a while now.  The HTML 4.01 Strict specifications have declared the "align" attribute of the
solution.  For instance, the following CSS declaration produces only partial results; the browsers that I would expect to support it, don't:

body { text-align:center }

The results:

IE 5.5: centres the table
Netscape 4.77: centres the table
Netscape 6.2: table remains left-aligned; individual cell contents are centred
Opera 6.02: table remains left-aligned

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious.  Any help would be appreciated!

Charlie Walker