Re: Validator support for MathML embedded in XHTML

From: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:51:33 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

Thank you for this very good advice. I got rid of all the old error
messages, :->
but now a new crop came up (details a little farther below). :-<

By the way, Klaus Bosse (in the WWW-math group) tells me that there is a
bug in the IE-XML-Parser that causes IE to choke (it refuses to render)
when using the Universal MathML stylesheet, so I decided not to incorporate
this for the time being, even though I would like to. (My target audience
largely uses IE.)
At 00:32 2002/04/01, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

>BTW, it seems the validator has (known) problems with parsing
>the entities in "mmlextra.ent".  "mmlextra.ent" includes a bunch
>of character entities beyond U+FFFF, which nsgmls doesn't support

Is this bug the cause of the new error messages I'm getting (with line
numbers that vastly exceed the number of lines in my source file)?

Here's a sample error message (one of about a hundred similar ones in the
validator output):

===== <sample_error_message> =====

Line 8185, column 30:

Error: "1D51E" is not a character number in the document character set

===== </sample_error_message> =====

If it is, and if this is the only error message I get, should I consider my
document as effectively validated? The URI of the current document version
is  http://www.oxnardcc.org/~mbowen/answers/sf5ch01test2.htm, in case you
would like to see for yourself.