Re: XHTML + <form ...> </form> BUG?

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Liam Quinn wrote:
>
> > > It seems to me that this error message is not ideal: why not revert
> > > to a message that lists the elements <input> can be contained in at
> > > this point?
> >
> > Do you remember the old 'document type does not allow element "P" here;
> > missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag'?
>
> My best attempt (as implemented at Site Valet) is
>  "element %1 must be enclosed in one of %2"
>
> which in the above instance will expand %1 to input and %2 to
> div,p,pre,...

Yes, definitely an improvement in this case, but there are other cases
where that error message is very confusing.  Consider the following common
mistake:

<b>
</b>

Code Valet says:

element "P" must be enclosed in one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP",
"IFRAME", "BUTTON"

The W3C and WDG validators say:

element "P" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline element
containing a block-level element

--
Liam Quinn