W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > September 2001

Re: Mysterious character encoding detection

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:39:56 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
cc: Per Angstrom <per.angstrom@autark.se>
Message-ID: <20010919175510-r01010800-b789c03e-0910-010c@192.168.1.6>
On 19.09.01 at 04:24, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

>Validating the result page shows up errors :-)

Found & Fixed! Thanks for the catch!


>* Per Angstrom wrote:
>>I get a mysterious error when trying to validate www.cisco.com:
>>'The detected character encoding was "inline". The error was ""'.
>>
>>The request is encoded like this: <URL
>>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline 
>>>.
>
>Hm, I didn't take a look at the current code, this may be caused by
>
>  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html">
>
>on this page, but I fear it isn't.

No, it doesn't appear to be related AFAICT.

>>Pressing the Revalidate button on the results page will generate 
>>another erroneous detection: 'http'.
>>I'm curious to know where the error comes from.  I'm sorry if this is a 
>>well-known problem, but I could not find any reference to it.
>
>It seems we finally have some new bugs ;-)

And one that has me completely stumped too. I've flagged it for attention,
but right now I don't know where to even begin looking for this one so I'm
going to leave it hanging until I find some time to give it my full
attention. Please let me know if you find any other pages that exhibit this
problem!
Received on Wednesday, 19 September 2001 11:55:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 25 April 2012 12:13:59 GMT