Trouble: ....document type...

From: <grandane@grandane.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Am receiving "No errors found" but with message saying "This document
_would_ validate as the document type specified if
updated  to match the Options used. "

Have tried adding to my meta tags one of the explanations given by
validator i.e.,   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=utf-8"> .......

Example:
            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
            For HTML, use the <meta> tag. Example:
charset=utf-8"> ........

this makes no difference to validation result???

All pages I have validated successfully this past week all now receive
the same message as above, which I assume now means they don't _really_
validate.

Originally my Doc Type was HTML 4.0, tried changing to 4.01 as this is
what validator states, doesn't appear to make much difference.

I havn't a clue what I'm supposed to do here, use Win NT 4.0 am
wondering if this makes a difference in some way?

Advice very much needed.

Pat Greenfield.