incorrect treatment of + in URLs

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:40:26 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi:

When I try to check HTML Validity after checking link validity (at
http://validator.w3.org/checklink) I get a 404 Not found error.  This is
probably due to incorrect treatment of a + character in the URL as the
returned page has a mangled version of the URL

As I have no idea how these various services are implemented, I cannot
further comment on where the error has occured.  I expect that this error
can be recreated on just about any URL with a + in it.

I encountered the error when trying to check

  http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/daml/daml+oil-reference.html

However this page is only temporary and may disappear at any time.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider