Re: encoding

From: Jan Kolar <kolar@karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:33:17 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I would like to report a feature of Validator.
The service could be improved if the page would be parsed even in
the following case:

 If there is <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html">
 but no charset therein, and
 there is no charset specified in the header, then Validator takes
 charset="detect", and thereafter it complains
          Sorry! A fatal error...
          The detected character encoding was "detect".
          The error was "".

 (This can be compared to the case where there is no charset specified
  but there is also no meta tag in the page, and Validator parses
  the page anyway.
  There may be something with assigning "unknown" and "detect" to a variable
  "Detected Charset Encoding"
  Sometimes I see even "http" in the variable.
 )

 I wish to thank to Dmitri Klimenko <dg@humorist.ru>,
 that he helped me to get around the above problem.

 Jan Kolar