Re: Validator goofs on missing '

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:38:53 +0900 (JST)
To: fizzbowen@mindspring.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Funny you should mention that. I just discovered (serendipitously, while
> checking an XHTML 1.0 transitional document) that the validator catches '<'
> symbols when they are accidentally used where &lt; was actually intended,
> but fails, in at least some cases, to catch '>' symbols when accidentally
> used in place of &gt;.

Because `<' may appear in their literal form *only when* used as
markup delimiters (or within a comment, a processing instruction,
or a CDATA section), while you are not required to use &gt; to
represent `>' unless it appears in the string "]]>" in content,
when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section.
See "2.4 Character Data and Markup" of XML 1.0 [1] for details.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#syntax

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org