Re: Validator goofs on missing '

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:22:42 +0900 (JST)
To: akkersdi@hio.hen.nl
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Ron Akkersdijk <akkersdi@hio.hen.nl> wrote:

> While checking various HMTL webpages made by
> our students I discovered what I think is a bug.
> The validator does not complain when a '>'
> is missing, see for instance the html code
> below, where the final ">" is missing from "</body"

This is not a bug.  The SGML declaration of HTML 4 [1] says
"SHORTTAG YES", which allows shorthand markup like </body</html>.
As noted in "Appendix B.3.7 Shorthand markup" of HTML 4 [2], such
construct is unlikely to work with many existing HTML tools, though.

XML doesn't allow this kind of shorthand markup, hence it's not
allowed in XHTML.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.7

Regards,