Re: bug with codepage 1251

At 12:43 01/11/08 +0600, iSmart wrote:
> > >It seems like there's some troubles with validation-listing (results of
> > >validation)! The codepage of html-file with validation-listing is utf-8,
>but
> > >it isn't manually written in the header of this file.
> >
> > Fixed in the CVS version (and at http://validator.w3.org:8188/).
> > It's always good to have that info in the file in case it's saved,...
>
>Fixed, but it doesn't work :(

What does that mean? Are you sure you used :8188, and not the
standard port? Do you find the <meta> with utf-8 in the source
or not? And what exactly doesn't work?

>But some times ago I had no problems with validator-service...

But the validator accepted many files that were not valid
at all :-(.

> > >Thus, my IE 6.0 automatically detected that this file in win-1521
>codepage,
> > >and I don't see valid cyrillic letters.
> >
> > This is very clearly illegal behavior of IE to not recognize
> > the information in the HTTP headers.
>
>Yeah, I've heard about it.

IE 5.5 has an option to detect the codepage automatically. I guess
IE 6 has the same. Did you switch it off?

I really want to make sure the validator is correct on charset
issues. I also want to make sure I understand exactly what
IE does in your case, so that I can try to contact Microsoft
if necessary.

Regards,  Martin.