Re: Interpreting embedded Javascript

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:33:23 +0000 (GMT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: <jim@jibbering.com>

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Tim Bagot wrote:

> At 2001-11-06T17:07+0100, Ludo wrote:-
>
> > in other words, I desperately need the HTTP client to
> > interpet the Javascript in order for the link checking
> > process to proceed.
> >
> > Questions :
> > 1. Did anybody Javascript-enabled the W3C validator ?
> > 2. If not, does there exist any (non-) commercial
> > tools that would help me ?
>
> I don't think the link checker is likely to support scripting of any sort
> in the near future:

Not unless someone goes ahead and programs it.  But making something
of the kind available as a browser function sounds a lot like some of
Jim Ley's recent work (I'll Cc: this to him).  Jim calls his browser
package "snufkin", so a web search on that might help.

>	 it could easily be a huge drain on system resources,
> and making it secure could be very difficult. (Does there actually exist a
> (Java|ECMA)Script (+ DOM?) implementation outside of a browser?)

I'm not sure about that.  I'd imagine the system resources should be
in the same ballpark as existing services.  And as for implementations,
I may be talking through my hat, but isn't there something in the
Netscape servers?  And I wouldn't be too surprised to find an Apache
module for it.  But it still needs someone to do the actual hacking.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>