Re: Interpreting embedded Javascript

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0006@earth.li>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:31:32 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
At 2001-11-06T17:07+0100, Ludo wrote:-

> in other words, I desperately need the HTTP client to
> interpet the Javascript in order for the link checking
> process to proceed.
>
> Questions :
> 1. Did anybody Javascript-enabled the W3C validator ?
> 2. If not, does there exist any (non-) commercial
> tools that would help me ?

I don't think the link checker is likely to support scripting of any sort
in the near future: it could easily be a huge drain on system resources,
and making it secure could be very difficult. (Does there actually exist a
(Java|ECMA)Script (+ DOM?) implementation outside of a browser?)

Why not write a little something to pull the URI references out of the
scripts in your pages and turn them into real hyperlinks in a little HTML
file you can pass to the checker? Assuming that your scripting is halfway
sane, such a specific tool should be reasonably simple.

At 2001-11-06T16:57-0000, Lloyd Wood wrote:-

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Ludo wrote:
>
> > The trouble comes from <body onload='foo();'>-like
> > calls in some web pages, with

No, <body onload='foo();'>, with a <META http-equiv="Content-Script-Type"
content="text/javascript"> (*spitspit*) of course.

Tim Bagot