Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

From: jason r tibbetts <tibbettj@verdi.iisd.sra.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:55:22 -0400
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
CC: William Sheppard <will@nicnames.co.uk>
> Most corporate websites don't have valid HTML.
>
> Surely there must be a way to shame companies
> into posting valid HTML? Or a way to show them the
> kudos they could get by advertising the fact they have
> valid HTML...

Companies aren't going to use valid HTML until two things happen:

1) The most ubiquitous UAs stop handling invalid HTML silently, and

2) Authoring tools start producing valid HTML. I would wager that few large
corporate sites are done with hand-written HTML; most Web designers probably
-never- look at the source. Why should they?