'html 2.0 transitional'?

From: Max Bell <mbell@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:57:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
I realize this is a heretical idea :-), but I think it would be
nice to have a 'html 2.0 transitional' syntax option.  I author
my pages to 2.0 but allow 3.2 attributes.  This approach yields
pages which have improved appearance over strict 2.0 ('<body
bgcolor="white">' versus strict's '<body>') without breaking the
parsing of Lynx or the legacy browsers I have tested.  a '2.0
transitional' option would allow me to check my pages against the
validator without the excessive noise due to the strictly illegal
attributes to body, img, etc.  If you agree, please implement
this option at your convenience.  Thanks for your time.

Max Bell
mbell@pobox.com