Re: German_Umlauts

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rainer Ziener <ziener@tls-tautenburg.de>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>, <mrengel@tls-tautenburg.de>
On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Rainer Ziener wrote:

> My question concerns German Umlauts and other specicial characters.
> For the normal ampersand the validator gives an error and I have to
> write
> &#38; or &amp;. But if I write German Umlauts or so, the I donīt get
> any error from the validator. But some browsers display wrongly such
> characters.

Even if you include the charset parameter of the Content-Type header?
What browsers do that?

> Therefore I propose, to include the correct HTML spelling of umlauts
> and other special characters into your validation service.

There's nothing wrong with using the 8-bit ISO-8859-1 encoding of a letter
with an umlaut as long as you specify your charset as ISO-8859-1.  (For
information on specifying the charset, see
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html>.)

--
Liam Quinn