Re: Uh oh! I got the following unknown error:

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:37:12 +0200
To: mvkendall@hfx.eastlink.ca
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 22.06.01 at 18:16, Mike Kendall <mvkendall@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

>Just got a new source tree and get an error validating the test case [...]
>«"402" is not a character number in the document character set»

That looks like a b0rken DTD or a b0rken SGML Parser. Since it's somewhat
unlikely that the DTD should get corrupted when the rest of your install
seems fine, I'd shoot at the SGML Parser.

>Using OpenSP version 1.3.4.

Could you try getting a newer version? OpenSP 1.3.4 is more or less
identical to SP 1.3.4 which has a few limitations -- allthough it really
should work for this -- OpenSP 1.4 or 1.5pre5 would be a better choice
(1.5pre5 is pretty solid). You could also try Liam Quinn's modified version
of sp, lq-nsgmls from
<URL:http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/src/lq-sp-1.3.4.5.tar.gz>
which is what we're running.

>The XHTML test cases are ok except for Basic 1.0

XHTML Basic is only partially supported. You'll need a SGML Parser with
HTTP and external entity resolution support for it to work. Sorry.

>but all of the HTML 4.x cases fail with the above error

Hmmm, lesse... What do they have in common? The Catalog, the SGML
Declaration, and the parser. I don't think we've messed with either of
those.

Wait a minute... "/usr/bin/nsgmls", "/var/www/"... This wouldn't happen to
be a Red Hat-ish system? With the "nsgmls" from sgml-tools? Get OpenSP from
<URL:http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2115&release_id=24470>
and build that (make sure you don't install over your existing version!).
If this is caused by a fubar Red Hat version (Red Hat ~7.x, right?), the
new build won't exhibit the same problem.