Re: Flagging & in URL in HTML 4.01 transitional type.

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:49:10 -0700
To: Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>, Jim Correia <correia@barebones.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
[I inadvertently sent this only to Kynn on my first reply]

On Friday 08 June 2001 17:44, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> At 6:12 PM +0100 2001/6/08, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >In which case, you moan at the browser writer for not insisting on
> >the trailing semicolon of &copy;, or for trying to pass an unescaped
> >copyright symbol in a GET request.
>
> Actually, I get the feeling that omitting the ";" is usually acceptable
> or valid; someone who is a better SGML pro than me, can you confirm or
> deny that?

I'm not a SGML pro, but I can explain what's valid HTML vs. what's valid
XHTML.

In SGML, whitespace can serve to terminate a character reference, but not in
XML [correct me if I'm wrong here, SGML guys].  So in that sense the ';' is
optional in HTML, so long as what follows the entity reference is whitespace.
For example, take the fragment:

Validated as HTML4.01 Transitional, the first two pass, but the validator
complains that '&copyright' isn't a valid entity.

Validated as XHTML1 Transitional, only the first passes, because the second
isn't terminated properly.

HTH,
--
Thanasis Kinias
Vice President & Manager of Information Systems