Re: Why Are certain META Tags Being Ignored?

From: Clemens Radl <clemens.radl@uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:46:41 +0200
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: "SDJThorin" <sdjthorin@wyldeside.com>
Hi,

> I was just wondering why META tags like:
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Script-Type" CONTENT="text/javascript;">
>
> are being ignored by the HTML Validation Service?

They are not being ignored.  The declaration of the default scripting
language is needed for intrinsic events (specified with "onload",
"onsubmit", etc.).

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.1

> See "18.2.2 Specifying the scripting language" for exact details.
>
> If the validator did acknowledge this META tag then my page would
> be a valid HTML 4.0 Transitional document.

No, it wouldn't.  The TYPE-attribute is required for each SCRIPT-element, as
specified in
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/scripts.html#edef-SCRIPT>.

Best wishes,

Clemens