Re: charset parameter

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:55:45 +0200
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
* Terje Bless wrote:
>If I take my own preference and modify it to be more in line with what you
>and Björn are saying (AFAICT), I think we end up with the following
>pseudo-algorithm.
>
>1) Check HTTP for charset.
>  a) If found, use it (for now).
>  b) If not found, assume to be ASCIIpatible (for now).
>
>2) Check for META charset (using explicit or implied HTTP charset).
>  a) If found, use unconditonally, overriding HTTP.
>  b) If not found...
>     I. If HTTP had explicit charset, keep using it.
>    II. If no HTTP charset, punt and tell the user to "deal with it"
>
>3) Check for a CGI "charset" parameter.
>  a) If found, use unconditionally, overriding META, but mark doc invalid.
>  b) If not found...
>     I. If META or HTTP had explicit charset, keep using it.
>    II. If no META or HTTP charset, punt and tell the user to "deal with
>        it"

I agree with what Martin said. By the way, I came across a request for
comments on a new Perl Module, currently named HTML::Encoding that does
this for you (excluding defaulting behaivour of any kind); it was posted
to libwww@perl.org today, see the archived message at

  http://archive.develooper.com/libwww@perl.org/msg02817.html

I really needed such a module ;-)