Re: --->Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:02:53 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Robert.W.Blackburn@apcc.com
BTW, you need to send messages to <www-validator@w3.org> and not
<www-validator-request@w3.org>. If you haven't subscribed to the list,
messages will be bounced to a moderator and this detour may have introduced
the wrong address somewhere along the way.

On 27.07.01 at 11:11, Robert.W.Blackburn@apcc.com wrote:

>Q: Does running my version of the validator against a known valid
>   page give the same error
>A: Using http://validator.w3.org/ does seem to work.

Ok, so we know it's caused by our error reporting code.

>Q: What information does running NSGMLS by hand give
>A: I ran NSGMLS by hand and attached both the HTML page and the error
>   text (See attached file: foo.html)(See attached file: errors.txt)

Ok, so we know the parser is working and giving normal error messages.

>Q: you did get the binary Iconv distribution from ActiveState and
>   installed it?
>A: Yes I did, and it seemed to install correctly.

Then it likely did or you would have gotten an error from PPM.

>Q: The version of the "check" CGI application
>A: $VERSION    =  q$Revision: 1.122 $;

Ok. I'm guessing it's a problem with our error parsing code. Could you try
the attached version? I've modified the path to nsgmls.exe to use UNIXy
paths -- flop the slashes back the wrong way if your Windows variant don't
understand those :-) -- eliminated some code, and modified error parsing.

I'm guessing the problem stems from either the backslashes in the path
(which Perl thinks are escape characters) or from that extra ":" that gets
introduced as part of "D:\" (we use the colons in nsgmls.exe's output as
position markers to extract the info we need). The attached version
/should/ fix it if that's the problem.

One indication of this would be if the error message you got was different
each time. Apart from the "Uh Oh! I got the following unknown error" spiel;
did the message afterwards -- the "invalid comment declaration" bit --
change depending on which page you tried to validate?