--->Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly

From: <Robert.W.Blackburn@apcc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:00:28 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
I get this errorwhen using the validator I set up on a WinNT IIS machine,
but there is a <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">
at the top of the document, and it does this for every document I try to
validate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

     Uh oh! I got the following unknown error: D:
     \webroot\validate\sp\bin\nsgmls.exe:0:157:96:E: invalid comment
     declaration: found name character outside comment but inside comment
     declaration Please make sure you specified the DOCTYPE properly!

     You should make the first line of your HTML document a DOCTYPE
     declaration, for example, for a typical HTML 4.01 document:

           <HTML>
                <HEAD>
                  <TITLE>Title</TITLE>
                </HEAD>