Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

* Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 05:55 AM 5/24/2001 , jason r tibbetts wrote:
>>Companies aren't going to use valid HTML until two things happen:
>>1) The most ubiquitous UAs stop handling invalid HTML silently, and
>
>BTW, I don't agree with the common assumption that it would be a
>-good thing- if user agents started breaking horribly (e.g. like
>an XML parser encountering unwell-formed markup).  In fact, I think
>this would be a very bad thing.

"We need an unforgiving browser that adheres strictly to the letter of
the XHTML law in order to move forward to the future" says J. David
Eisenberg in his article "Forgiving Browsers considered harmful" which
can be found at http://www.alistapart.com/stories/forgiving/ and I agree
with him, as I've already pointed out in this thread. Of course you are
right and the browser should be also educational, but it should fail
instead of rewarding authors for bad markup.