Re: A trailing dash in a domain name makes validator fail?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Diman Grozny wrote:

> Thank you, everyone, for clarifying that. That's our fault!
> Now, I guess I'll have to copy the site to somewhere else to have its
> contents validated.
> --------------
> Just a thought: It seems that a site with a "bad hostname" has no chance of
> getting validated,

It has an IP address, doesn't it? If it's not virtual-hosted, you can
use the validator by simply replacing DNS name with IP address.

If it is virtual-hosted, things are more problematic, since the IP
address and info provided in the HTTP Hostname: request will be
different. An optional IP address field to specify where to send the
URI request to could be useful for this and when DNS root finally goes
schizoid...

And then there's file upload.
http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html

L.