problems with validator program?

From: Nancy Carlin <lila@okkod.pair.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Please respond directly to me as I'm not on the list.

I'm having a hell of a time fighting with the validator about a couple
of my web pages and am not sure if the bug is with my understand of
the spec (more likely) or with the tool.

One thing I'm trying to do is nest <UL> directives.  My O'Reilly
"Web Design in a Nutshell" book says nesting is OK (page 122).
	<UL>
		<LI>stuff</LI>
		<UL>
			<LI>even more stuff</LI>
		</UL>
	</UL>
The validator does not like it. An example:
	http://www.nancycarlinassociates.com/robinhuwbowen.shtml
I tried running 'tidy' but it generates html that does not work on
my browser (netscape 4.77).

The other problem I'm having is that I'm getting the <OL> not allowed
here in http://www.nancycarlinassociates.com/tea.shtml

	Error: element "OL" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline
	element containing a block-level element

The HTML is: (I'm trying to boldface an entire list).
	<H2>stuff</H2>
	<B>
	<OL>
I really hope that the standard does not require me to:
	<H2>stuff</H2>
	<OL>
	<LI><B>aaa</B></LI>
	<LI><B>bbb</B></LI>