Re: W3C HTML Validation Service Results are failing on good pages

From: Carole A. Gay <carole@designs.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 08:39:50 -0700
To: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li>, www-validator@w3.org
CC: Jonathan Wilson <wilson@claborn.net>
7/7/01 12:59:48 PM, Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li> wrote:

>At 2001-07-07T07:35-0400, Christian Smith wrote:-
>> On Friday, July 6, 2001 at 14:46, wilson@claborn.net (Jonathan Wilson)
>> wrote:
>> > The error is, it complains about a lack of closing tags on all brakes
>> > (br tags), and also for img. I have never used ending tags for br or
>> > img, and in fact I have never seen a page that does use endings for
>> > those tags.
>Almost. The validator output attached to Jonathan Wilson's message
>contains "Error: no document type declaration; will parse without
>validation". Clearly, in the absence of a DTD, it is impossible to tell
>which end tags are meant to be optional.

It also give the URL of the page validated.  I'm no expert, but when I went to that URL, in the source, the first lines of code say:

<?xml version = "1.0"?>

After that, the whole document looks like HTML 4.0 Transitional, at best.

Carole Gay

HTML Writers Guild Online Education Instructor, HTML and Design Concepts
Director, HTML Writers Guild Gutenberg Project