Re: W3C HTML Validation Service Results are failing on good pages

On Saturday, July 7, 2001 at 08:39, carole@designs.com (Carole A. Gay) wrote:

> >Almost. The validator output attached to Jonathan Wilson's message
> >contains "Error: no document type declaration; will parse without
> >validation". Clearly, in the absence of a DTD, it is impossible to tell
> >which end tags are meant to be optional.
>
> It also give the URL of the page validated.

Ahh, I saw an HTML attachment but assumed this was just an html formatted
version of his email so I ignored it.

> I'm no expert, but when I went to that URL, in the source, the first
> lines of code say:
>
> <?xml version = "1.0"?>
> <icx_pubyear>2001</icx_pubyear>
> <icx_headline>Moles</icx_headline>
> <icx_url>http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter153.asp</icx_url>
> <icx_story>
>
> After that, the whole document looks like HTML 4.0 Transitional, at best.

Well, that would explain it. You can't combine HTML and XML in this
fashion so the validator must be kicking (correctly) into XHTML mode and
this would explain the errors that are being reported.

Remove the XML declaration and add an HTML 4.0 doctype OR add an XHTML
doctype and fix the various errors which are reported.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!