Re: Problem with parse tree output

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:38:27 +0000 (GMT)
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: Cliff Hudson <chronos@lightmail.com>, www-validator@w3.org
> Right now we do minimal parsing of this output -- merely pick out what
> little we need -- but rearranging the attributes would require an
> intelligent parse of this and the generation of a complex datastructure of
> some sort to hold the info. This would eat an undetermined amount of CPU
> cycles and memory compared to today, but would also provide benefits in
> other areas of the code. Exactly what the tradeoff becomes isn't clear to
> me without looking more closely at the problem (anyone?). It may be that
> the net effect will be improved resource use _and_ cleaner code enabling
> more features, but it could also go the other way.

As I said in my response to the OP, the alternative, cleaner and much more
efficient approach to this would be to hack the C++ code in SP.  The
learning curve for hacking SP is much steeper than the alternative
basic Perl hackery, but there is now a development community doing
that ( <URL:http://openjade.sourceforge.net/> ), as well as my own
Code Valet which is a very specific hack to web-ify SP.

--
Nick Kew