Re: Validator choking on ™ (TM)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Liam Quinn wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Bob Rosenberg wrote:
> > Questions:
> > Would I be better off claiming to be Windows-1252 to make this
> > C1-area Codepoint Valid?
>
> No.  ™ is undefined regardless of the character encoding.

Just to add to Liam's reply:

While the entity ™ is indeed undefined, a byte having value 153
is valid in Windows-1252, so that is an option if your editor makes
that easy for you.  However, it's not recommended, because browser
support may be missing on non-windows platforms.

> > If I stay defined as ISO-8859-1 can I replace the ™ with the
> > correct UniCode Codepoint for TM.
>
> Yes, you can use ™ for the trade mark sign.  &#ddd; always refers to
> Unicode, regardless of the character encoding.

Indeed, a better option.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>