Re: "valid [X]HTML x.x!" icons are Evil (was Re: Thanks a lot)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Nick Kew wrote:
> Isn't the purpose of the icon to propagate the notion that
> validation, or more generally standards-compliance, is a Good Thing?

Yes, and it's a noble goal, but asking web authors to propagate that
notion by *explicitly advertising their pages as being valid* is a
horrible injustice, when the W3C darn well *knows* that a future
change of theirs might invalidate countless of pages with the "valid
[X]HTML x.x!" icons on them.

I'd really like to see someone from the W3C comment on my original
"'valid [X]HTML x.x!' icons are Evil" post.  (Perhaps it's being
discussed, but from my point of view, all I hear is crickets
chirping...)

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute