Re: validators hang when referred from private address space

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:44:18 +0200
To: Scott C Ream <sream@softhome.net>
cc: www-validator-css@w3.org, www-validator@w3.org
[ PS. replies from www-css: please CC me or w-v, I'm not subscribed ]

On 28.08.01 at 14:39, Scott C Ream <sream@softhome.net> wrote:

>  I have apache installed on a gateway machine.  When I access the site
>internally with http://192.168.0.1 and hit the check button for html 4.01
>or css it hangs because the w3c machine is searching for referrer
>192.168.0.1 which of course it can't find.  Not a big deal but a bug
>nonetheless.  The scripts could be modified so that if 'referrer' is
>numeric then check it is not in the private address spaces.  Thanks for
>providing a great service!!!

Yeah, I saw it in my IRC logs and we discussed it briefly later on. This --
and a few other changes to accomodate gateway machines -- would probably be
a good idea to do something about. I don't know about the CSS Validator[0],
but for the HTML Validator it'll go on the todo list. It'll take some time
before we can get it fixed (due to various more or less random
implementation issues), but it's on the list... :-)

BTW, Nick, you wouldn't happen to know how SP behaves in this situation?

[0] - I think the CSS guys are more robust then us in this regard, no?