Re: Error numbering

From: James Ralston <qralston+ml.www-validator@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:46:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Terje Bless wrote:
> [We are using <ul>] because OL is visually noisy and I'm not
> entirely convinced it would be a win.

However, using a numbered list instead of an unnumbered list would be
a really quick way to get a rough idea of how many errors are in a
document.  Consider the effects of these statements.

    "The announcement draft you gave me had some errors in its HTML;
    could you please fix those?"

    "The announcement draft you gave me had around 90 errors in its
    HTML; could you please fix those?"

I prefer the latter, because I've found that giving people some idea
of the order of magnitude of their errors is a lot more effective at
motivating the worst offenders.  Up to this point, to do that, I've
scrolled through the validation results page and counted the errors.
It would be very handy to get the errors back pre-counted.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute