Re: Guide to wrap needed

[ I don't know where the origial context was, but feel free to forward ]

On 03.08.01 at 04:49, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>So apparently the validator does not recognize the information in the
>break should be equivalent to a space. I hope this is just because the
>validator processes such <meta> tags in some ad hoc way, since the
>alternative would be that it has some flaw in its fundamental parsing
>routines.

Yes, this is a result of the ad hockery that plagues META on all sides. We
use a Perl regex to pick out the META tag from the document and the regex
is a tradeoff between "getting it right" and "this is a kludge so lets not
worry about it too much". The alternative was to reimplement a stupid SGML
parser in Perl regex or do two stage parsing and we went the easy road.

It's been somewhat alleviated in recent development versions -- we do two
stage parsing in that we preparse it with a lightweight parser before
handing it off to the real parser -- and are working on a "real" fix.