Re: Double guillemets [was: Re: Warn about unknown parameters]

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:31:05 +0200
To: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
[ CCed because w3.org email is acting up today ]

On 01.08.01 at 01:11, Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com> wrote:

>FWIW, your double guillemets come through loud and clear in Eudora 5.1
>running under Windows 98 SE. Kind of nice looking, actually, although some
>of our European friends may interpret them differently. Of course, I'm on
>the mailing list so am obviously using an email program rather than a
>newsreader.

Yes, I was talking about email[0]. I noticed the quotes were mangled in one
of the replies and was worried I'd messed up. The guillemets[1] were an
affection adopted after some -- obviously inadequate -- testing suggested
they might roundtrip better then left/right single/double quotes as are
common in English[2]. Apparently they cause problems in, among others,
Eudora-J, so I'll drop them for now.

[ But they _will_ be revisited when UNICODE becomes common! :-) ]

Thanks for taking the time to let me know, though! I think it's important
to communicate clearly in email[3] so I really appreciate feedback on
things like this.

[0] - There are, unfortunate°y, not any newsgroup interface to w3.org
      lists. I prefer newsgroups over mailinglissts for most things.

[1] - So /that's/ what they're called. Thanks! :-)

[2] - Surprisingly enough, I later found that they are apparently the
      prescribed quoting style in Norwegian. Go figure... :-)

[3] - So feel free to flame my spelling and grammar... :-)

--
Interviewer: In what language do you write your algorithms?
Abigail:     English.