Re: XHTML validator doesn't completely support Unicode

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:15:23 +0200
To: psheerin@cmp.com
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 26.04.01 at 21:50, Peter Sheerin <psheerin@cmp.com> wrote:

>Is it a known issue that the w3c validator doesn't properly handle
>Unicode documents? I've got a page that validates to XHTML 1.0
>Strict--until I put the Unicode byte-order mark character string at the
>beginning of the file.

Yes, it's a known limitation of the SGML Parser we use that it's b0rken
when presented with a UNICODE Byte Order Mark. That similar problems exist
for other parts of UNICODE is not particularly surprising. :-(

>http://www.petesguide.com/style/index.html
>http://www.petesguide.com/style/misunderstood.html
>http://www.petesguide.com/style/peeves.html

Are these URIs more or less permanent? (see below)

>Is anyone working on more complete support of Unicode for the validator?

Yes and no. It's on the TODO list, but it's been pushed back a bit by other
priorities. I'd like to use your pages as test cases, so I have some
verification that it's /really/ been fixed when we try to fix it. Is there
any chance those URIs will remain static?