Accessing the validator via script

From: LAI <textmode@fsckme.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:58:31 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
First, let me thank the developers of the Validator for their efforts.
It is immeasurably helpful to have this sort of benchmark.

One feature that would be immensely useful, however (and I don't know
if, perhaps, it's already possible) is to get Validator results with a
script. Perhaps (for instance) I could write a PHP script that sends an
HTTP request to the Validator, and based on the response it could judge
the validity of the referenced document.

Basically, the application I have in mind is the sitemap I use at work.
I use PHP to apply different HTML to each table row depending on the
status of each page, and it would be nice to automate validity checking
as well, so as soon as I make a mistake on a page I can catch it.

Anyway, I know there are all sorts of issues with this sort of thing,
increased load on servers and so on, but I thought I'd throw this out as
a suggestion for the future.

Cheers,
LAI
textmode@fsckme.com