Re: Bug: non-working page validates successfully

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@exch1.rhul.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:06:10 +0100
CC: www-validator@w3.org

It's only in the last twenty-four hours that I've tried the W3C "checklink"
facility, which I now can see is exceptionally useful; however, there is
an error message that it generates which is, to say the least, confusing
(or confused).  Should such problems be reported to this list, or direct
to Hugo Haas?  The message concerned reads :

     What to do: The link is forbidden! This needs fixing.
                 Usual suspects: a missing index.html or Overview.html,
                 or a missing ACL.
     HTTP Code returned: 403
     HTTP Message: Access Forbidden

Now "This needs fixing" is clearly wrong.  "Access forbidden" is a perfectly
reasonable thing for a link to return to an off-site validator, so could I
request that the message be toned down a little, please?

Philip Taylor, RHBNC