Re: new validator Re: [Bug] XHTML Strict Minimal document

From: James Ralston <qralston+ml.www-validator@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:03:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
cc: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Liam Quinn wrote:
> Sometime I'll take a look at the RPM docs and give that a go...  The
> Offline HTMLHelp.com Validator [1] shouldn't be hard to package up
> with some RPM knowledge.  The online validator will be trickier
> because it's dependent on so many Perl modules and other utilities;
> perhaps it's worth trying Alien [2] on the Debian package.

Beware: RPM has been in flux for a while now, and most of the
available documentation is out of date.  Until Red Hat has a chance to
bring the documentation up to date, your learning curve will probably
be a steep one.

That being said, I would be interested in seeing a validator packaged
as an RPM, because that would be personally convenient for me.  ;) II
also have a good amount of experience with creating RPMs, so if you
can point me to a tarball that I can scoop up, I'd be willing to make
an RPM out of it for you.  (I might be able to do it in a timely
fashion, even...)

I'd be very skeptical that Alien could Do The Right Thing.  Does it
even know how to handle version 3.0.5 (or greater) RPMs yet?

James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute