Re: Should Relative URL in format 'http:g/' validate

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:47:11 +0200
To: "Terje Bless" <link@tss.no>, "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>
* "Terje Bless" <link@tss.no> wrote:
| On 25.10.00 at 19:13, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
|
| >The HTML Validator does not and should care about any content of the page.
                                         ^ not
| >The content includes URIs and hyperlinks. The Validator should only
| >validate the given resource against the associated DTD.
|
| URI syntax checking and linkchecking seems like fair game to me.

URI syntax checking and link checking is far beyhond the scope of what a
Validator should do. What a SGML Validator should to is well-defined and
people would be irritated if the Validator does more or less than this.
Imgagine, the Validator is a Validator and no checker. A checker is able to
check attribute values. <td width="granny"> is valid HTML since width is
defined to be CDATA to allow pixel and percentages values but granny isn't one
of these values. The validator cannot and should not catch this error, it
won't be a true validator if it does.

To check links use a link checker like http://validator.w3.org/checklink The
link checker would do a good job if it does a syntax test for the URIs it
should check.

regards,
--
Björn Höhrmann ^ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ^ http://www.bjoernsworld.de