Re: Problem validating XHTML documents named .xhtml

On 16.10.00 at 04:27, Aaron Nielsen <pfuii@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I have encountered a problem using the W3C HTML Validator service.
>
>In attempting to upload and parse some XHTML documents, I noticed that
>uploading files whose extensions are ".xhtml" do not parse correctly.
>I tried a couple of files called ".xhtml" and received the following
>error message:

I haven't had a chance to wrap my head around this one yet, but I /think/
this is a bug in the validator. It's been reported before IIRC, but no
conclusion came of it.

Anyway, if I'm not totally off base, part of the problem is that your
browser isn't sending the correct Content-Type for these files. In your
browser's settings (or Preferences) locate the setting for ".html" and make
a duplicate entry for ".xhtml". The Content-Type should be "text/html"
(without the quotes).

You may also want to consider using an absolute URL for the SYSTEM
specifier in the DOCTYPE. While not a strict requirement AFAIK, I suspect
it will level quite a few bumps on your way. For one thing, MSIE 5.0 on Mac
OS won't open it the way it is. Try this DOCTYPE instead:

or just

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN">

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.