Re: Validation ok, but still there is a problem!!!

On 16.10.00 at 08:04, POWELL Olivier <olivier.powell@cui.unige.ch> wrote:

>Hi! I just validated my home page (see link at bottom of page). I Then
>added the little code proposed to get the nice little "validated" logo  :
>) (That's cool!) But this little bit of source code dosn't work when I
>look at the page with internet explorer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : (

It displayes just fine in my Macintosh Internet Explorer 5.0 and Netscape
Communicator 4.75 on Linux.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Does your browser not display the icon?
Which version of Internet Explorer is it? On what platform?

>The problem is that the image file is accessed via
>src="http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html40", and I think internet explorer
>may require .gif or so extensions...(Just an hypothesis) : )

That should, and does, work just fine in the vast majority of browsers that
I've tried so unless you have a browser I've never heard of, or a very old
version of one of the common browsers, it's unlikely that's the problem.

>What is going on then?

I think we need some more information before we can determine that.

>Everything is fine when I use netscape, but having validated my page, I
>thought this was quite a guarantee to make every browser succesfull at
>reading it...

You'd think so, wouldn't you? :-)

No, unfortunately the situation with standards support in browsers is
pretty bad. Versions of MSIE later then 5.x (both platforms ;D) are pretty
good and Netscape keeps promising, but not yet delivering, a Netscape 6
which looks to have good standards support. However, all older versions of
these browsers and most other browsers I'm familiar with, has various
problems that conspire to make standards compliant web pages render wrong.

Use the Validation Service to check your pages for syntax errors and MSIE
5.x to check how they look, and accept that they won't look perfect in
broken browsers. The information usually get through, even in broken
browsers, if your HTML is standards compliant.

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.