Validation ok, but still there is a problem!!!

From: POWELL Olivier <olivier.powell@cui.unige.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:04:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi! I just validated my home page (see link at bottom of page).
I Then added the little code proposed to get the nice little
"validated" logo  : ) (That's cool!)
But this little bit of source code dosn't work when I look at
the page with internet explorer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : (
The problem is that the image file is accessed via
src="http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html40",
and I think internet explorer may require .gif or so extensions...(Just
an hypothesis) : )
What is going on then?
Everything is fine when I use netscape, but having validated my page,
I thought this was quite a guarantee to make every browser succesfull at
reading it...

--

Olivier Powell