RE: eCommerce links-non compatible with Validator.

From: Kevin R. Phillips <kevin@audiodesigns.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:46:58 -0800
To: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

>> We won't be able
>> to change it to '&amp;' or else the link won't function.
>
>That is not correct. Decoding of the encoded & will be handled by the
>browser just as it handles decoding &amp; everywhere else. Until the & is
>properly html entity encoded you won't be able to claim the files are
>valid HTML 4.0.

Hi Christian,
Two questions then (and by the way thanks to ALL of you for your support):

*Are you saying that we can just change the & in the existing link to &amp;
and the ecommerce software should still detect the link as if it was still
only the & sign?

or

* Do we need to actually go into the core system that generates the syntax
for the product purchase links and custom modify it to issue the &amp;
instead of & in every link it issues (we did not create this software but
we can make code level changes)?

Thanks again,
Kevin
UpBeats.com